Shed into a chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by duckncover, Jan 2, 2014.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I have a single pet bantam hen that I've been keeping in my house since October. When it gets nice out I'd like to buy her a friend and put her outside. I have a big shed in my backyard I can clean out and use for them. However I can't build a run for them. I was going to just supervise them outside everyday and then herd them back into the shed when their done. I know my chicken Frizzle is not hard to catch so I guess the other hen or two I get will also have to be calm so I can catch them if they will not herd back in. I feel bad for my girl because she is in a parrot cage right now and doesn't have much room. She's a frizzle so she can't be outside in the cold now, at least not alone. I plan to have 2, possibly 3 chickens in this shed. I can't wait to start working on it. I want to give them roosts, nestboxes, and feeding spots. The shed is well ventilated and has a lock on it. I will post pictures of what I will be working with in the future when I get it cleaned out.

2. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Sounds like a plan. In the meantime a chicken diaper or 2 would probably be helpful. If you have enough room in your shed, you can make it interesting enough they won't miss the run, but they will need sunshine to keep healthy.

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

I do believe a lot of old sheds have been turned into
    chicken coop's [​IMG]

Keep us updated [​IMG]

4. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Ditto [​IMG]

5. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    We converted a garden shed into our coop with very little trouble and nice results. I initially did not have a run, then built an attached 9x12 run. What I really liked later was building some light, portable runs using pvc and chicken wire. This let me put them out unsupervised and protected, very light so I can pick them up and move them around. They are 8 feet long, 4 feet wide, 4 feet high

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

This is our conversion of a shed to a coop [​IMG]
    It was a real bad feather day for these two, too [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

7. BigDean

BigDean New Egg

Feb 28, 2010
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    I did the same thing. It made a great shell for my coop, I insulated the walls and put in windows and put in a better floor and it works great! My wife and I are very pleased with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by