Shed into Chicken house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cms7352, Sep 23, 2010.

1. cms7352

cms7352 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    I would love any tips on how best to turn a shed into a chicken house.

The shed is around 100 sq ft and has tin siding and roof. There are already two windows in the side of it. There is no front on the building yet. The floor is dirt.

I am thinking we'll put in a raised on cinder blocks plywood floor, plywood walls and ceiling, roosts in the back, nests on either side, and waterer hanging in the middle, feeders on the sides. And then I'm thinking of putting a screen interior door and a solid exterior door.

If anyone can think of anything that would be great!!!

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Add ventilation to your list.

3. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

4. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    We started with a pre-fab, 8x12 shed. Painted it, put in one real window, three ventilation windows without glass (it had two top soffet vents. Added roosts, nest boxes, a cabinet we found for sale, added on a run to the outside, a ramp, a roof for the ramp, a covered sandbox in the run - it is a wonderful endless source of little 6-hour projects. Perfect for me.

After the paint, before the add-ons started
    [​IMG]

The one real window
    [​IMG]

The roof over the ramp
    [​IMG]

Roost, droppings board, windows
    [​IMG]

The cabinet
    [​IMG]

The run, part 1 - we are planning to expand the run next summer, depending on whether the neighbor's dog tries to attack our free-ranging hens again and they have to go on lockdown.
    [​IMG]

The nest boxes
    [​IMG]

5. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
  6. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    NellaBean - amazing job on your coop remodel. I love it and am thrilled to see someone else working with steep ground. I can see some "nellaBean" modifications in my future!!

7. swampwander

swampwander Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Mims, Fl
    We modified DSD's small tin shed into a small coop with the addition of some 'windows' and a poop door into a dog kennel. Took a little bit of wood, heavy wire to reinforce the chain link fence and close up the windows. Pretty darned easy. One afternoon of work. I would consider putting heavy gauge wire over the windows tro stop anything from climbing in at night. Not sure where you are, but tin transmits cold and heat very readily. You may want to consider that in your design.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by