1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shed lining? I think so but would appreciate other opinions. Poo Pic Inside. Oh, joy!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mtn Laurel, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Lost a chick a few weeks ago to what I think was cocci but aren't sure. They were 14-15 wks. old at that time, I saw no signs of blood in poo, just one girl started laying in run, lethargic and fluffed up. She collapsed about 8 hrs. later and we had to put her down 24 hrs. after that. I started Corid in their water when I saw her being lethargic but don't think she took in enough to stop it if it was cocci. I'm really not sure what got her as they'd all been healthy to that point.

They're now 17 1/2 weeks old and have been off medicated feed for several weeks. They underwent a full dose of Corid in the water when the one died, about 2-3 weeks ago. All are acting fine, no one is lethargic, no one is fluffed up, all are eating. But I found a bloody poo this morning. With the little "clumps" that are in it, I think that it's shed lining. But, I'm gun-shy and unsure after losing one girl a few weeks ago and would appreciate other opinions.

The chicks are now co-mingling with the "big girls" and their diet has changed a bit. They're now getting some veggies from the garden, sunflower seeds, crimped oats. Don't know if a change in diet would have any impact.

[​IMG]

Thanks for any/all help!

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Hard to tell,looks a little red to be intestinal lining. I personally have not seen intestinal lining look like this in my girls,i have seen this with Coccidiosis.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is a bit red, but I still think that it is intestinal lining. The clumpiness of it is not like the texture of Coccidiosis blood. But if you want to be safe, go ahead and treat them again with Corid.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  4. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

From what I am learning, sometimes it takes a second dose of corrid to get rid of the cocci. Also, fully cleaning the coop, and run of the contaminated poo is essential also...to keep them from getting an over load again. The recommendation is to retreat, after a two week "rest" period.

I am going through this now. My plan is to treat for the full 7 days, rest the two weeks and retreat. One their run is done, and I can get them out of the coop, which will be this week, I am going to clean out all bedding and wash coop with ammonia, then put in clean bedding also.

I am on the fence about returning to medicated feed. I fed one bag, let them out not quite a week after stopping said medicated feed, just for two hours, and then they got stressed. I believe, they picked up the cocci from being outside, and then when stressed, it turned into an over load, and they got really sick. Glad to say, day 2 on the corrid and they are showing a HUGE improvement and I didn't lose any. I believe I caught it in time and that is why none died!!!

I am thinking, I might just stay on the non medicated and add the probiotics and vitamins, to help them get back to normal intestinal flora, ( once all medication is finished ) since they will be on the ground, in their run by the time all the treatments are finished, for a bit, and should have built some resistance to the cocci by then. Wish I had been able to have them on the ground, as a momma chicken would've, from jump street, but working with other people that have no understanding of chickens, well, things did not go as I planned.

I will be adding the ACV and starting the garlic also, once their treatments are done, and am considering fermenting their feed to see if there is any difference. In the future, with the next lot of chicks, once they are grown, I will be brooding the natural way, with momma chicken doing it, not me. I am not momma chicken, and can not completely replicate the way she would raise them!!! I really am not into artificially brooding the chicks myself!!!

This will be a new experiment for me, to see how it works and if I want to go this route with the next lot, next spring and after those chicks are grown, will let momma chicken raise their young, NO more artificial brooding for me!!! Just what I prefer doing is all!!!! Lots of research going on and experimenting!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think it is a bit of blood. Since you had a probable cocci out break, it is sometimes recommended to do a second round of Corid after 2 weeks. That is what I would do. I see bits of intestinal lining on my poopboards every day, but I would be more apt to treat if I'd already lost birds.

6. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

I meant the experimenting is with the fermenting feed, the ACV and garlic, not the broody hens...that I have always done, till now, and has been hugely successful!!!! Always learning, always researching!!!

7. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I've since cleaned out the coop and have had an opportunity to get up close and personal with the poo in question. The red round bits were fleshy and rubbery-like. My scoop would press them down but they had a bounce to them. Definitely not a liquid only substance.

However - given that I lost a chick a few weeks ago to what I think must have been cocci - I'm going to treat them 5 days with Corid in their water just to be safe. Thankfully, you don't have to withhold eggs with Corid as the chicks and hens are all eating and drinking together so the hens will get the Corid, too.

Thanks for everyone's input! I appreciate the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by