Shed Made Into A Coop! Pics Included!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CreativeCowgirl, Sep 18, 2012.

1. CreativeCowgirl

CreativeCowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    I am so excited! I finally made my shed in the backyard into a chicken coop! It was very old and falling apart so I had to completely replace the roof. Well, I actually didn't do it myself since I don't have much experience building things, but I had somebody help me out with it. Then I fenced the yard around it. Here it is:
    [​IMG]
    This one is from behind the shed/coop, so you can see the trees in the yard[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It still needs some finishing touches, such as ventilation. I haven't made the roosts or nesting boxes yet, but they are coming soon. What do you guys think?

2. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    looking good! Do yourself a favor and put your nesting boxes on the outside of your coop! I had mine on the inside of the coop and found that I didn't like scraping poop off of them! So we built new ones and put them on the outside and I wished I had done that from the beginning. Now everyday all I have to do is lift the lid. I don't have to clean the nesting boxes out as much either. I added new roost when I moved the boxes out and I have to in and redo those now because none of my girls go up to the highest one. I have to drop it down about a foot. Hubby keeps complaining that he thought we were done with it. But I keep coming here and getting new ideas! lol!

3. Carebearsmiles

Carebearsmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Tahlequah
    It looks nice! My coop is an old storage shed as well. But mine is much smaller.

What a great idea to put the nesting boxes outside.
    Dianamallory, do the birds stay plenty warm in the winter?
    I'm thinking about doing something like this to mine, but I worry they'll be cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by