1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

shed used for a chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sema43, Mar 8, 2017.

1. sema43

sema43 New Egg

Oct 29, 2013
    HI All, I bought a 12x8 wood shed to house my chickens. I am worried about the winter. It has 2 windows with screens and 4 vents to allow air flow. I have 2 heritage chickens about 3 weeks old and I will be getting Rhode Island Reds in about a month. 6 of them. I am looking to insulate the shed for the winter. I was thinking of insulating the ceiling and 3 of the parts of the wall to prevent draft. It is new so there are no broken or holes. Any advice? Susan

2. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    Without knowing where you are it's tough to answer, but cold isn't the problem, heat is. And as long as you have ventilation, you can have ventilation without it being drafty, the cold is fine.

1 person likes this.
  3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Hi! It's Wicked's Twin Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I have a buddy who lives in the snow...it always seems to be snowing where she lives...
    anyways...

She uses hay bales as insulation...her chickens are mighty fine.

1 person likes this.
  4. sema43

sema43 New Egg

Oct 29, 2013
    Thank you , I live in Connecticut

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Pics of the coop inside and out would help immensely.
    You can put your location in your profile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by