Shed vents

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by worms7, Dec 24, 2016.

1. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    I am a bit scared of cutting my new shed to put vents in but i know i have to do it how did you
    Do yours ?
    Cheers Phil

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

It's pretty scary when you make the first cut to your new shed - then it gets easier. [​IMG]

I had to cut many vents in my shed to meet the ventilation needs of my chickens...a jigsaw was my tool of choice. I added approx. 12 metal vents, though I close off a few by covering with plastic mil when it's really cold (snow can blow in, for example). Even with all the additional vents, I think that adding a rabbit-wire "screen" door that allowed the big wooden door to remain open during hot weather made the biggest difference.

Good luck with your retrofit!

1 person likes this.
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Metal or wood? Got a photo?

4. worms7

May 22, 2015
    england
    Wood shed but i can't put a picture on as my camra is not working
    But my shed is pent roof not apex
    Cheers Phil

5. FoodFreedomNow

Is that a gambrel roof, like on a barn? Mine is...and the roof is metal, which, in retrospect, is not ideal because a ridge vent would have been great for ventilation. Live and learn, I guess. [​IMG]

6. worms7

May 22, 2015
    england
    No it is high at the front & slopes backwards
    Cheers Phil

7. FoodFreedomNow

Ok - sounds like a shed roof. My duck coop has that style; I built it, so was able to incorporate ventilation instead of retrofitting it.

8. PingoBags

PingoBags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2016
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I personally use whatever tool I have that would do it the fastest, 95% of the time it's the skill saw.
    Handsaw, jigsaw, reciprocating saw, whatever you have or are comfortable using.

If you have none of those, get yourself a keyhole saw, they are cheap.
    Use a level to mark out the vent using a pencil, or use a ruler, or anything with a straight edge.

If you have or can lend a drill, drill a 1/4 inch hole in each corner of that vent drawing, staying within the lines when drilling.
    Take the keyhole saw, put it in one of those corner holes and cut on the line.
    You can't really go wrong unless your measurements are way off.

However you choose to do it, take your time and don't rush it.
    Once you have done the first one, it's all easy sailing from then on.

1 person likes this.
  9. Cbennich

Cbennich Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2016
    We out a turbine vent in the roof of our coop. It's working great for our girls.

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yes, a pent roof is what we call a shed roof, I had to look it up. More proof we are divided by a common language.

For the benefit of those that have not yet built theirs, when I built mine I did not put the siding all the way to the top. My rafters were 2x6’s so I took the siding to the undersides of those, leaving a 5-1/2” hole under the overhang and covered that open area with hardware cloth.

If it is already built I can’t add much to this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by