shed vs portable for no mice ?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MamaChic21, Jan 12, 2011.

1. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I'm really confused on what new coop or coop/shed I should get. I was thinking of getting 10x16 shed but they say alot of mice will come in. So If I get a quaker, it's above ground, would that sorta stop the mice from coming in ? I know mice comes for shelter, food and water and snakes, oh well snakes love mice so that's a no brainer. I just can't stand both ! What would anyone suggest me to get ?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Don't leave a lot of feed around for the mice to get into and the mice won't be a problem. If there are no rodents, there will not be many snakes. [​IMG] We have a barn coop, but seldom have a problem with either.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    know mice comes for shelter, food and water and snakes, oh well snakes love mice so that's a no brainer

Snakes will come even without mice since they eat eggs and drink water too

Get the coop you WANT, and don't waste too much time worrying about one being better than the other because reality is they are about the same​

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just keep feed inside and off the ground. That will prevent mice and rats. As for snakes, depends where you live. Out here on the coastal side of the PNW, snakes are harmless grass ribbons and nothing to fear. I don't think I've ever seen a snake around here large enough to eat an egg. Maybe a bantie egg. Most I see are at most as thick as a sharpie.

5. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    but if I put concrete on the floor then the shed, would that kinda, sorta stop them from coming in ? Well alteast will it elimanate it ?
    Chicken coops that are 1ft off the floor, would that also elimanate it as well ? Which is better, I don't know [​IMG][​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I would go with a solid floor. From what I've seen, space under buildings and coops end up homes for wildlife and other things you don't want. Or a good place for an egg to be hidden...

7. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I agree with silkiechicken about not raising the coop a small amount as that's just an invitation for creatures to live under it. The reality is that mice will go wherever they want to- think about how many come into peoples' homes during the cold months without obvious points of entry. If they want to go in there they will whether or not they can get to food- they also want shelter. Don't worry about the snakes- if they're big enough to take care of mice they will; i consider the potential loss of a few eggs a small price to pay. I don't know where you live but most of the snakes will probably be some type of non-poisonous rat snake or similar, so if you can get past the "snake" factor they won't hurt you.

8. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I live in Jackson NJ. I don't think there are any posioness snakes out here. My husband saw 3-4 ft snake back there last summer. One summer before that, I saw a small 10-12 inches of snake right next to garage door. We have pavement stones in our driveway, so even the snake is not going green !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by