1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

shedding feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by clucker49, Dec 22, 2014.

1. clucker49

clucker49 In the Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    need answers from some of you professionals.one of my hens is shedding feathers bad and its cold winter here in va.im new to chickens ,although I was around them as a child on a farm,i never did really kno nothing about them.do I have any worrys of disease or is this common stuff?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    There are a number of causes of feather loss - molting, mites/lice, feather picking. The pattern & appearance can help determine the cause.

Could you post a picture or at least describe where your chicken is losing the feathers?

There are a lot of threads on feather loss, here's an external link with a discussion:

http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/reasons-for-missing-feathers-in.html

3. clucker49

clucker49 In the Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    seems to be losing all over.shes lost enough till she looks like a smaller chicken.dont think its mites but I will try to look her over good.

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Sounds more like a molt. If you see pin feathers coming in the naked areas, then its molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by