1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Shedding scales? *PICS*

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by babychickfarmer, Dec 11, 2007.

1. So I accidently scaped my foot on one of my girls legs and two of her scales were just hangin there so I peeled them all the way off. It looks like she has new scales undernieth. I know that I have a few hens in molt right now and this girl isn't. Is this a part of molt or something I should be worried about. Has anyone else chickens shed thier scales on thier legs?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Not usually...Scaley Leg Mites can cause the scales to lift up...so check their legs closely...

3. Quote:I did and I also took pictures, it doesn't look like that to me but her scales are more poofed out then our pullets.

This is the girl. Maggie.
    [​IMG]

and here are a few pics of her legs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Yes, chickens do shed their scales. I've had several healthy birds that I've had to fix a toe for or something, and the old cuticle will come off, leaving a softer, new scale underneath. It's nothing to worry about. It will harden up and flake off naturally.

5. Ok great. Thank you so much Bliss Chick. Thats just what I wanted to hear.

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Seeing the pic, she looks fine. Slifer's scales never sat flat on her legs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: