Sheep farmers - I need your help

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by arllcountrygirl, Feb 24, 2009.

1. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

We recently purchased this girl and her two little ones at the auction. Any idea what type she is? Any suggestions for raising them. I know they can't have copper in their feed and a few other helpful tips but that is it.
    Thanks [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Looks like an underfed Katahdin to me.

Get her on some good hay and work her up to at LEAST a 1/2 pound of grain while she's nursing those pretty lambs

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/katahdin/index.htm

She should have more weight on her. I imagine she needs worming.

These lambs are about 3 days old:

[​IMG]

I think your lamb on the left will end up looking like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
  4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Kat bred to Barbado? Cute lambs, mama needs some nutrition, huh?

5. arllcountrygirl

Yes, she is on the sad side. Thanks for your input. I don't think the lambs are that old. They still have their cord attatched.

6. Beekissed

I'd start with a good worming for all. Good alfalfa hay for mom and maybe some brown sea kelp and coarse salt~ free choice~ for supplement. Wouldn't go amiss with giving some unpasteurized ACV in their water, recommended 50:50 dose. Gives everyone a good dose of probiotics!

After that, I'd repeat your worming in a couple of weeks....and watch them get fat and sleek! Great looking sheep, BTW!

7. arllcountrygirl

what would be the best wormer?

8. Beekissed

These folks will tell you Ivermectin but I am a nature girl....I like Shaklees Basic H soap, like Joel Salatin uses for all his livestock.

Basic H is a nontoxic, biodegradable, all natural soap made from soy proteins. It is not a poison to the worms, it is merely a surfactant, which dissolves the worm's protective layer of oils and allows digestive juices to kill them.

My thinking? If a dewormer is toxic enough to kill an intestinal parasite by poisoning, I don't want it in my sheep's meat and I certainly don't want it in my soils.

Basic H is not advertised as a dewormer, but generations of old farmers have used it successfully for years.

You can also try DE, some folks like it also. It is an irritant to the worms, cutting into their skins and killing them in this way.

9. arllcountrygirl

Thanks [​IMG]

10. gjfarm

gjfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Montana
    Definately some type of hair sheep. What type of tail does she have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by