Sheep or goat?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Naughty, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    I am thinking of adding to my lil backyard barnyard! I have about an acre of land and already have some hens and roosters. Thinking of adding either a couple of small breed goats or sheep that will graze and keep the grass under control. My eldest daughter loves goats - but we had one when I was younger and I don't remember them eating much grass. .. roses, bushes, etc - but not much grass. I wouldn't mind a couple of smaller friendly breed sheep. Or maybe even a goat and a sheep together (wouldn't mind goat milk eventually)

Any recommendations?

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Goats are more browsers than grazers - they'll eat weeds, bushes, any trees they can reach . . . If you're looking for something to mow grass for you, I'd go with the sheep.

3. jodief100

jodief100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    N Kentucky/Cincinnati
    Goats and sheep can be together but they need to be fed seperattly. Goats need copper which will kill sheep. Goats tend to nibble a little here and there. They like weeds and bushes more than grass. Whichever you get, plan on at least two. They are herd animals and do not do well when alone.

4. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Sheep are great for mowing the lawn, and goats are great for weeds and bushes.
    They can be kept together, but remember that goats need copper and sheep can't have copper.

5. Naughty

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    I knew I'd find good advice here! I get the impression that goats do not give milk until they breed is that correct? something tells me if I get a goat and breed it - I will end up with 2 of them - my daughter will not give up a baby goat.

If I keep a sheep and a goat (maybe 2 - see above) - would they get along? I'd be nervous about them getting into each other's food though.

Are there smaller breeds of sheep? I have about a 1/2 acre that will eventually be fenced.

6. jodief100

jodief100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    N Kentucky/Cincinnati
    Goats will not give milk unless bred and then only for a certain amount of time. I have meat goats so I am not certain how long. I think 6 months to a year depending on the breed and individual goat. They usually have 2 or more babies at a time.

There are some smaller breeds of sheep. I have seen some but am not familiar with them.

When you feed goats and sheep, they need a mineral supplement. This is where the copper is so that is what they could not share. I have heard of people locking them in different pens at night and a few hours a day and feeding the mineral then.

With a half acre I would recommend getting just goats or just sheep. Then you could get 2-3 and they will be happy. If you get goats and sheep you will have at least 4 and you will have to buy a lot of hay to supplement them.

If you want small, milking goats, research Nigerian Dwarfs or mini Nubians.

There are lots of goat and sheep people on backyardherds.com

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Get sheep. Goats will eat the weeds, the shingles off of the roof, the siding, the bark off of the trees, the fence, & whatever else they can get to. I had 11 & I will never again own one of them destructive little devils! [​IMG]

8. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience, birdaholic, but not everyone has problems like that.

Yes, sheep are better if you want "lawn mowers". But goats won't necessarily eat the shingles off the roof or the fence or whatever else they can get to. If they're bored, they will. If you give them toys and things to do, they won't.

I have 10 goats right now and wouldn't change it for the world.

9. Naughty

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    My county regulations say I have to have 10,000 SQ ft of land fenced for each animal - so figure I could have 2 small sheep - as long as they are pretty mellow. I dont mind a fiesty rooster cause I'm bigger and badder than he is - but a sheep is a good sized animal to have mad at me! I plan to fence the back half of my y ard for them. Do they take well to being staked out occasionally - like when I'd like them to sample the tasty grasses in the front yard? And do they make lil poops like a goat? LOL - sorry - don't know much about them!

Thank y ou so much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by