1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sheep question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ChickenLover200, Mar 24, 2016.

1. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I have two Katahdin Hair sheep and in December they were "diagnosed" with having lice. After five dustings with powder, they're still losing hair rapidly down to the skin and my Barbados cross looks like she went througha shredder.
    They also seem to have runny manure or something down their back legs. My first guess was possible worms because of that, but they were just dewormed not long ago.

2. WallabyOfChaos

WallabyOfChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Texas Panhandle
    My Coop
    Just because they were dewormed recently does not rule out the possibility of parasites. Most drench dewormers labelled for sheep are out of their system in just a few days, which means they can reinfest rapidly if the conditions are favorable for parasites. Hopefully you don't have drug-resistant parasites. Coccidiosis could be responsible for the diarrhea as well. I think your best bet would be to take a fecal sample from each one into your local livestock vet and have them do a fecal test. You may also talk to the vet about the possibility of using an injectable dewormer, like ivermectin or doramectin, which have longer withdrawal times and will also treat biting lice. Good luck and I hope you get things figured out.

3. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    An injection dewormer is what we used. I think I probably will get the vet back out here soon and get things checked out. Wouldn't want anything to happen to my girls :)
    They're my bottle lambs :D

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    New Jersey
    I agree that a vet is your best bet! They will be able to tell you exactly what type of lice are affecting your sheep and what will work best to treat them. A fecal test will tell you what parasites are present and the vet can recommend a wormer best for that species. Not all wormers are equal in what types of parasites they treat!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by