Sheep!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by awesomefowl, Oct 23, 2010.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

I'm interested in sheep. We don't have a pasture cleared but do have a very large lawn, so I was thinking of getting a few sheep. Any thoughts?
    I was interested in Babydoll Southdowns and maybe Shetlands. Are there any Shepherds out there?

2. awesomefowl

Anyone for tennis?

3. Drk_Wlf

Drk_Wlf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    I LOVE my Shetlands! They are supper sweet! They make great pets and have some supper soft wool. I have 2 right now, we weren't even planning on getting any sheep originally we were only interested in goats. They were a steal on craigslist though (they are not registered) and I don't regret getting them, the only thing is that if I want to get more they are normally super expensive. Just a note, sheep are louder then goats, but the only time mine make any noise is when its feeding time. I don't know what type of animals you have owned before, but sheep need their hooves trimmed every 4-6 weeks plus they need sheared one a year... I still haven't figured how I am going to get mine done there are very few people that do it in the area, I might end up trying to do it myself.

4. awesomefowl

I really like the Babydolls, but Shetlands are cute too. Can you keep them in a movable corral on the lawn? I would stall them up in winter and feed them hay so they don't kill the lawn. Would this work? Thanks!

5. Drk_Wlf

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    That's about what we have now, we have 14 acres but don't have it fenced yet so we just have some movable pens set up. They get hay free fed all day and Sheep Feed once a day in the evening. They have a run in shed for shelter from the weather. Shetlands are considered some of the friendliest sheep, they even wag their tails at time when happy!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  6. awesomefowl

I have a nice largish stall next to the coop. I would shut them up every night.

7. Drk_Wlf

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    That would work for a few of sheep, I am no expert though I just got mine this summer. The biggest thing was learning how to trim their hooves.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  8. awesomefowl

I have to convince my Dad. He thinks they would kill the lawn.

9. Drk_Wlf

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    Not as long as they have enough space so they don't were down the lawn and get muddy. They don't graze until the grass is gone.

10. awesomefowl

Yup, this sounds good. I really wanted a Dexter Cow, but we don't have a pasture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by