1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sheer desperation...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Fingers74, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Fingers74

Fingers74 New Egg

Oct 17, 2016
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Hi! My little family are first time chook owners. Up until 3days ago we had 6 Isa - browns. Today we have 2. Bloody dog. Your site has helped me a lot so far and there is still so much to learn. If you are wondering: the coop is being reinforced and the dog will be getting additional training. She does not touch them during the day, including when they are roaming! Night time has become our issue.
    Anyway, I look forward to learning from this group to improve our chook experience...the functional pet that we all adore. We are situated in Adelaide, Australia. [​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. So sorry for your losses.

3. Fingers74

Fingers74 New Egg

Oct 17, 2016
    Thank you QueenMisha, on both accounts.
    I am about to pick up some dog mesh to reinforce the girls yard, so here is hoping it keeps the dog out.
    Despite the carnage, someone has laid today, such good girls, I was not expecting anything. [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. Fingers74

Fingers74 New Egg

Oct 17, 2016
    Thank you CT! Yes, fingers crossed.
    Thank you very much for the thread. I am an IT numpty and finding Oz located peeps was something I was going to save til all the kids were in bed - you have saved me a tremendous amount of time. Thank you. [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    G'day and Welcome to Backyard chickens. BYC has a large Aussie community - always room for more.

1 person likes this.
  7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Fingers74, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Of all the chicken predators I think a dog can be the worst. Never content to snatch a bird a runaway and come back and try again tomorrow, a dog will clean out the entire flock first time through. You have my condolences. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC.

8. Fingers74

Fingers74 New Egg

Oct 17, 2016
    Thanks redsoxs. We thought we would lose 1, maybe 2, not 4. We have changed tack with the fence, it is now built to keep her out, rather than keeping the girls in. E-collar will be next if she continues to make attempts to get to them. Already considering adding some shock treatment to the fence too. [​IMG] Here is hoping she settles and we do not have to go that far. Any suggestions on training will be warmly received. Cheers!

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by