Sheesh, I can't believe I am posting here again: prolapse?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SeaChick, Nov 14, 2007.

1. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Well, it's just one thing after another over here. This morning the hawk, now this. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

Olivia and I were having a CLOSELY SUPERVISED (re: hawk) yard session just now with the girls. She went to pick up Vanda, who did the "egg squat" mating/submissive stance in a very deep squat. Olivia said, hey, that doesn't look good! And we saw that about 3/4" of the vent was outside. However, when I picked her up (out of the "squat") it went back inside and was normal.

Checked her a few more times over the next 10 minutes and it was normal.

She just laid her first egg either yesterday or today (had two girls just start, not sure which is which!)

Is it possible this is just a momentary, temporary occurence b/c she just started laying? Or should we be concerned?

Needless to say we'll keep an eye on it, but for now she's just back with the girls as usual.

What do you think?

Thanks
    Stacey

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    yes

3. SeaChick

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    dlhunicorn, thanks.... but..... did you mean "yes, it's possibly a momentary, normal thing" or "yes, we should be concerned"?

I checked her this AM and she is fine, but she has not laid an egg yet today.

Thanks, wise one.

Stacey

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    oops...hit the post button a bit quick there...I meant yes this is probably just momentary

5. SeaChick

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Oh, great... THANK YOU!! I will just keep an eye on her and not worry, then. I mean, really, we couldn't be THAT unlucky to have yet another crisis, could we? (knock on wood)

Thanks,
    Stacey

6. McChix

McChix Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2007
    Hi, SeaChick.

Maybe try black oil sunflower seeds as well.

Quote:

7. SeaChick

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Thank you!
    Actually, I have just started feeding them black oil sunflower seeds (like for the last 4-5 days). I have been giving the 6 girls about 1 cup of sunflower seeds and one cup of scratch per day. Does that seem like too much?
    Thanks
    STacey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by