Sheesh! What is it with silkies?!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Jan 12, 2009.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Will someone please explain the chickeny logic behind the &^$&!!! silkies going broody only on the below freezing weeks?
    Silkie #1 decided to go broody back in November when it was 11 degrees outside. She wouldn't give up so I finally gave her a few eggs and let her have at it. Silkie #2 has apparently decided that today is the day for her to get in on it. It's hovering in the high 20s at the moment and is supposed to get colder all week. We have just completed three weeks of temperatures in the 40s and 50s- altogether pleasant winter weather. Does Silkie #2 go broody when it's decent out? Nooooooooo... she waits for the worst possible time. [​IMG]

What is going through their crazed little silkie brains? Can they not just wait for spring when things are more temperate? Enough already!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I think I need to get me a Silkie, just for pure entertainment! [​IMG] Silly birds.

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    That's the very reason that I'm getting away from Silkies.

I have much better "broody" control over myself with the incubator. Okay, I admit, slightly better control over myself. [​IMG]

Dawn

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Sigh... I'm going to have to either break her of it or come up with some eggs. Silkies should come with an off switch.
    Anybody got any blue/black/splash Ameraucana eggs that need a good home? [​IMG]

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I'd ordered Silkies and Mottled Cochins (Bantams) because I wanted to experience the natural hatch side of life. Just my luck...they all decided to go broody, one behind the other. Taught me a whole new chicken keeping reality, at the time. Nothing like 4 going on 6 broodies and nowhere to go with them.

Fortunately, we had a couple empty wire bottomed rabbit hutches to move them to, to break them of the broody. The Cochins were sold not soon after that. Kept the Silkies a bit longer because Skip loves their eggs. As soon as my last pullet decides it's time to hatch, she'll probably be gone too.

I'm sticking with my EE's and hoping to increase my Silver Spangled Hamburgs.

Dawn

6. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Oh yes I have a silkie just the same...freezing freezing and decides to go broody on the eggs her pals had laid...took the eggs off her and put her outside with the rest.....next day same....and again and again...she has finally got the message....don't go broody on me till spring........

7. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    Man you guys are lucky i do not have silkies but the few times mine went broody this year my parents said no because it was too cold so they pushed them of the nest and that's all it took to break them. you think that a little encouragement from me saying if you stay broody they will eventually give up but nope my parents broke my broody's [​IMG]

8. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Broody is what they do [​IMG] ...one of mine is setting on 4 eggs... [​IMG] this is day 5... I wont let the other 2 girls go broody though... one at a time thank you...We have had snow and freezing weather and more snow but it does not seem to faze any of them...[​IMG]

10. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Hey the silkies are nothing compared to the Ameraucana wars my Mom had to experiance this summer when I was away at camp. She fought them and put them in the chicken tractor and had scratches all over her arms. I thought it was funny and My am girls are very timid usually but kill when it comes to their eggs [​IMG] My silkie pullet is still conttoling herself which I apreaciate.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by