Sheet Metal Apron

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by latebloomer, Jun 7, 2011.

1. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    i've got the coop to a stopping point,

same with the run, all except for the apron

but i'm tired now and want to take a break to spend more time with my dog who has been incredibly patient during the construction

i'd like to know if i could use sheets of metal roofing for my apron in place of fold-down hardware cloth for a temporary predator apron

here's a picture of the coop on the right and the run in foreground (you can see "the plank" connector bridge on the left of the coop

[​IMG]

you can see some of the metal roof panels i'm thinking of using, they're three feet wide and fourteen feet long

what do you think?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It seems like such a waste of good metal siding/roofing panels. I suppose maybe you could, as long as no mud or water-backing-up issues were created.... but I just think "what a waste". Even if YOU don't need 'em, there are plenty of other people who would, maybe you could arrange a swap?

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. latebloomer

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    thanks for your response, Pat

it's for a short term thing, i'm going to use them for the roof material

and for siding for areas where there will be splash-back from the eaves

i just need a little break and i can get these in place quickly

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Disadvantage is it's harder to shape and fill in gaps / corners

Agree with Pat that you may find someone to buy it or swap on Craig'slist it you don't need it

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:In that case, NO NO NO NO NO!!!

They will get bent (I can see it starting to happen already) and then they will never be really "right" as roofing. You'll have persistant little flappy edges sticking out to catch the wind and get Bad Things started happening in strong storms, and in some cases letting water in too.

Really, there is a HUGE difference IME in the performance of "virgin" roofing panels (i.e. flat-like-from-the-factory, stored flat, handled carefully) versus ones that have been banged, bent, crimped, allowed to sag in places, etc. The latter is just never the same, you might THINK you can bend it back into place but it'll never be the same.

If you want quick/cheap/dirty I'd suggest more along the lines of do you have any concrete rubble lying around, or can you get some cheap wire mesh fencing (even garden-grade makes an ok apron, especially if not for long) or some lumber you could lay on the ground around the coop and weight down real good.

Pat

6. latebloomer

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    well, these were already salvaged off a barn that was coming down
    so they aren't pristine, some though are better than others

as always, i appreciate your input

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    it's for a short term thing, i'm going to use them for the roof material

and for siding for areas where there will be splash-back from the eaves

They will quickly rust if layed flat on the ground.

It won't take long to just lay down some wire and let the vegetation anchor it in place, and it will look a LOT better

Another thing is they would provide the perfect hiding place for snakes and rodents​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by