shelducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by roocrazy, Dec 18, 2010.

1. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    any info pictures care info would be great thank you. Also mandrin ducks and ferruginous white eye.

thanks again

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Shelducks are big and should be kept in a separate pen from others as they very dominant and range anywhere from $100 to $500
    Mandarins are easy keepers, typically $50 a pair, can be feed regular crumbles like flock raiser, need a raised wood duck type nest box for breeding, need a covered aviary.

3. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    thanks

4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    yep, mandarins are great mixed collection birds and do fairly well in larger groups, they are also cavity nesters.

Shelducks on the other hand aside from a couple species of them are very aggresive, and must almost always be paired and in individual "shelduck" pens with just that pair. They for the most part are burrow nesters, with 1-2 species just being ground nesters.
    What I always did for mine was dig a hole near the ponds and put a 5 gallon bucket in it on it's side. Drill many holes in the bottom side for drainage. Then bury all but the mouth of the bucket for them, they really loved this style nest.
    The only ones I have ever mixed in collections are the common or european shelducks. They arent nearly as agressive as say ruddies or paradise and do good in large community pens. My Radjah also did well like this, but in pens away from the europeans.
    They are also more of an on land/grazer species and dont require as much water as other dabbler species in the pen.
    they come in several species, european, ruddy, radjah, cape, australian, paradise, all very large and very beautiful, but for the most part, bullies.

5. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by