Shelf life of eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Coldspringchicken, May 5, 2009.

1. Coldspringchicken

Coldspringchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2009
    Cold Spring NY
    I had heard that fertilized eggs dont keep as long as un fertilized eggs. Does anone out there know? Thought it be nice to keep one rooster. [​IMG]

2. Shellyb

Shellyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    As a newbie, I'd love to hear how long the shelf life is for unfertilized eggs too. With no date stamped on the box, how is one to know? lol

3. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Im not sure myself, but so long as you keep them refrigorated should last about as long as unfertilized.

4. swtamour

swtamour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Silicon Valley
    I read somewhere here that you can keep your eggs on the counter for one month so I'm assuming much longer when they're stored in the fridge, I think it's 2-3 months. But your home should be relatively cool for one month on the counter.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  6. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    Ridgerunner, thank you for posting that link! I love Mother Earth's experiments and I've been wondering about how long it is "okay" to leave the eggs on the counter before they go in the fridge!

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Glad to help. One thing I always do regardless of how fresh the egg is. I always crack it in a separate bowl to look at it before I add it to other ingredients or other cracked eggs. Surprises are rare, but they can happen, even with fresh eggs.

8. OKbirdwatcher

OKbirdwatcher Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    NE Oklahoma
    Quote:That's what I do, ridgerunner. Learned that from my grandma when I was a child. Hate to "fowl" up good ingredients with an occasional bad egg.

I didn't know you could leave eggs unrefrigerated for up to a month or three at room temp. Wow! That will be handy when I have so many my fridge is overflowing.[​IMG]

I'm an optimist. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by