'Shell grit' for chicks?

kyuu

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 15, 2012
I've given my 4 week old chicks some grass and a bit of oatmeal, but the pet stores only sell 'shell grit'
There is no nutritional information, instructions, only 'Shell grit, fine mix 2KG'... It seems to be made up of little different shells and bits. I'm just wondering, is this safe for my chicks? Because I've been reading about grit and it seems like extra calcium is bad for chicks :(
If this is so, is there a way to make my own grit for them by crushing rocks up? Or should I take them outside everyday for them to pick their own rocks?

I've given my 4 week old chicks some grass and a bit of oatmeal, but the pet stores only sell 'shell grit'
There is no nutritional information, instructions, only 'Shell grit, fine mix 2KG'... It seems to be made up of little different shells and bits. I'm just wondering, is this safe for my chicks? Because I've been reading about grit and it seems like extra calcium is bad for chicks :(
If this is so, is there a way to make my own grit for them by crushing rocks up? Or should I take them outside everyday for them to pick their own rocks?

Yes too much calcium is bad for little chicks. Hard on there organs. Kind of hard to tell about that product without all the information.
It has been suggested that you could use construction sand from the hardware store.

Imp- Good luck

Alright, I'll try to get some construction sand :)
Thank you for your replies!

Back
Top Bottom