1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

shell less egg 2 days in a row

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bugkiller, Dec 18, 2011.

1. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    I have gotten a shellless egg from the same chicken 2 days in a row. Should i be worried.

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I am going to go out on a limb and say, "Perhaps not."

Well, I mean, some folks call it the uterus and some call it the "shell gland." It isn't as tho' it has gone anywhere or just disappeared. The hen (pullet?) still has all the parts or she would not be producing the eggs. The parts are not working just right, however. Probably the egg is moving too quickly thru the uterus for the shell to form.

Very few hens will produce an egg every 24 hours. Even for the best layers, it will run slightly later each day until there just won't be enuf daylight to trigger all the hormones necessary for the release of the next yolk from the ovary. Perhaps, she just needs that break, to get herself back in synch.

Here are some articles at Poultrysite on eggshell quality. Notice how the idea of a young pullet, new-to-lay keeps coming up. Also, realize how much calcium is passing thru with the egg. It is a lot! If she is laying an egg every day, or nearly so, that bird needs really a lot of calcium in her diet.

I hope this is some help to you . . .

Steve

3. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    She is 7 mths old and up too 2 weeks ago was laying every other day. than last 2 weeks layed 6 out os 7 days liek the other one. We got a wind egg last week and now 2 shell less eggs. I am feeding purina layena so i dont beleve it is a calcium problem. (The other chicken is laying fine)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by