shell-less egg...am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by juliemcummings, Oct 4, 2012.

1. juliemcummings

juliemcummings Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    yesterday after work I noticed that one of my hens was quiet and isolated from the rest of the group, she was standing still for a long time and as I approached her she squatted and laid an egg right in the middle of the yard. She immediate turned around and pecked at it...it has a really under developed, soft shell so it broke open as soon as she pecked, so I went over and got the egg before she eat it (I don't want any egg eaters).

I noticed she was still really isolated, she would only take a few steps and stand still, she was clenching her backside, it looked like she needed to Poop. I felt really bad because she kept closing her eyes and trying...then a completely shell less egg came out, it looked like clear poop and then a yolk pops out.

she kept pushing till she got it all out and now she seems to be acting normal but her butt looks a little messy. Is it possible for a hen to get pasty butt? what causes an shell-less egg? this is the only time this has happened, could It be the weather- its been rainy and dark... or is it their food, they free range they can eat anything in addition to their feed, is there something I should do differently? It seems strange to get 2 abnormal eggs from the same chicken within 10 minutes of each other. could one have cause the other?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How old is she?

3. juliemcummings

juliemcummings Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    about 24 weeks

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    That is normal then. It's just her body adjusting to the laying process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by