Shell less egg and now no egg and diarrhea...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ThinkingChickens, Jun 25, 2011.

1. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    What do I buy? What to do. I'm new at all this. My Barred Rock who had been laying consistently since the 9th of this month laid a shell less egg yesterday. Today she has diarrhea and a dirty bum. The diarrhea is greenish in color. No sign of parasites in the feces, no signs of mites, and she is eating, drinking and active. Is there a product I should purchase? My husband would have access to a feed store after work. We don't have much around our area in terms of chicken supplies. Thanks guys!

Oh, in case it matters she has no new food, I've added a touch of cider vinegar to their water but this occurred prior.

2. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Could she need to be de-wormed? Is it hot where you are?
    Actually, could the dirty bum and diarhea be from a broken egg? Or is she egg-bound? Perhaps you could clean her up a bit and see what is going on.
    Do you provide free-choice oyster shell (for calcium)? This could be your problem. I hope things clear up without any further incident.
    Good luck.

3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    I give mine oyster shell and it really helps with the shell less eggs .... they need the calcium!!!!

4. ThinkingChickens

Feb 18, 2011
    She has oyster shell. I hope she's not egg bound. I'm looking for some gloves and and then I'm going to clean her up. I guess it's all a learning curve, and not something you can just read about in books, but I feel so helpless. Ugh. I just scrubbed out their water and food dish and rake the chicken yard. It's about 80 here today, the high might be 89 later. They have a lot of shade though.

5. ThinkingChickens

Feb 18, 2011
    I just went down and cleaned her behind. It wasn't so horrible. Then she pooped normally once. Maybe I'm just worried since she's laid an egg a day and then yesterday a shell less egg and today nothing. She definitely had a bad stool earlier. Ugh, I hate being this worried. Ha ha. I'm going to add a totally separate feeder for Oyster shell. I was scattering it and adding some to their feed. I'll try it the other way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by