Shell-less egg and soft shell egg by 2 different hens? Calcium?

Chickindayard

Chirping
Mar 25, 2022
I have 2 browns (novegen) both of which have been laying for just a couple weeks. One laid a regular egg today and hours later passed a soft shell egg. The other spent a long time on the nest but no egg and just laid a egg no shell. They are on flock raiser with oyster shell available and I feed their shells back to them. It was very hot today.. Could that be why? Or do I have a calcium problem? Up til now all eggs have had strong shells. Do I have to worry about the girl who laid the no shell egg having shell inside her? Thanks for any help!

My understanding is Novegen are high production birds, so I'd make oyster shell available free choice as well. You can still give the egg shells back too if you wish.

I would get Calcium Citrate into both of them for a few days. 1 tablet each, just open the beak and pop the tablet in, let them swallow.

You mention one with "no shell". Was it an intact yolk with white in a membrane? If it was, then I wouldn't worry about a shell inside her.

My understanding is Novegen are high production birds, so I'd make oyster shell available free choice as well. You can still give the egg shells back too if you wish.

I would get Calcium Citrate into both of them for a few days. 1 tablet each, just open the beak and pop the tablet in, let them swallow.

You mention one with "no shell". Was it an intact yolk with white in a membrane? If it was, then I wouldn't worry about a shell inside her.
It was just a naked egg, white and yolk plus a bit of liquid. I was out there with her when she did it. All the other hens came running when she began to squat and I thought they were pecking at her vent. I picked her up and they were eating the egg. I do have oyster shell in a separate container for them in the run. It was just so weird that I had 2 in one day. Unfortunately I used the last of my calcium on the first hen so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get more. Could it be in response to the heat?

I have 2 browns (novegen) both of which have been laying for just a couple weeks. One laid a regular egg today and hours later passed a soft shell egg. The other spent a long time on the nest but no egg and just laid a egg no shell. They are on flock raiser with oyster shell available and I feed their shells back to them. It was very hot today.. Could that be why? Or do I have a calcium problem? Up til now all eggs have had strong shells. Do I have to worry about the girl who laid the no shell egg having shell inside her? Thanks for any help!
New layers can have funky eggs.
Are they eating the OS?
Do you feed any treats...what and how much/often?
Get Calcium Citrate with VitD3.
How did you run out, giving to other birds too?

New layers can have funky eggs.
Are they eating the OS?
Do you feed any treats...what and how much/often?
Get Calcium Citrate with VitD3.
How did you run out, giving to other birds too?
I have seen all of them eating the oyster shell and their own shell I dry and crunch up for them. I ran out because I take it. I just gave the last one to the first hen that laid a soft shell egg. They get bsl and a little scratch now and then and lots of greens since I can't free range.

I have seen all of them eating the oyster shell and their own shell I dry and crunch up for them. I ran out because I take it. I just gave the last one to the first hen that laid a soft shell egg. They get bsl and a little scratch now and then and lots of greens since I can't free range.
Should I feed layer feed instead? I haven't been because I have a roo. I have them on Purina fock raiser.

I would stop feeding daily treats and feed a layer crumble or pelleted feed only.

When you feed a ton of anything besides the complete balanced feed you are taking away from the bird getting a balanced diet.

If you want to feed any type of treat make sure you're not feeding more than a tiny spoonful per bird per day otherwise you are overfeeding that treat.

I had some laying issues that started this summer. After much research I went with flock raiser because I have an unexpected rooster and a young pullet. I was giving them treats, WAY too much. So, I pulled the treats and in just two days I saw more eggs. Although I'll have 1 or 2 one day and 5 or 6 the next. I think our blankity blank blank heat is a factor as well.

Back
Top Bottom