shell-less egg, is everything ok?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by edjanuary39, Apr 6, 2012.

1. edjanuary39

edjanuary39 In the Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    My husband went out and found an egg with no shell! So I went out and looked, in our barn the one chicken and one rooster, roost at night on the pens which are 5 ft high, they don't bother going in coop. She layer an egg with no shell that broke open on floor of goat pen, then a second which did not break. We feed a egg laying feed, so I'm not convinced it is a lack of calcium. She has only been laying for 2 weeks or so. And about every other day, until she skipped a day or 2 and layer these shell-less ones. 2 days ago I cleaned out the barn with water and vinegar. It took 2 days to dry and so when her egg hit it broke, as there wasn't much hay (husband was helping me) she does have about 6 or 7 nests in her coop that she made. My cousin said that if you take an egg and soak it in vinegar over night that it will turn into what I have-basically. Could the vinegar I used cleaning cause this?

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    An egg would have to soak in vinegar overnight in order to dissolve the shell. It is a perfectly normal thing for a young hen who has just started to lay to give a shell-less egg. She'll get it right.

3. Fluffballs

Fluffballs Songster

Apr 3, 2012
    With my chickies!
  4. edjanuary39

edjanuary39 In the Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank you! I was so worried something was wrong! I also forgot to mention they are let out of the pen every morning and roam free through horse pen- a favorite place- and the woods and whereever they want to go. It is strange for her to drop 2 of them in at one time, they were in the exact same place, and from so high up? Does she know they aren't good eggs? And in a strange place like that? She layer her first 2 in the barn on the ground, then I fixed up her coop (I hadn't bothered as I didn't expect eggs for another month and they never go in the coop except to eat) so I filled it with hay and she layed in there. sorry I'm new and the hubby doesn't remember anything like this growing up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by