1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shell-less egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bubbazmommy, Oct 31, 2008.

1. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    Is it normal for a pullet to lay a shell-less egg when they are first starting to lay? They have layers food and I throw oyster shell down by the handfuls. Do I need to add anything else?

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    This is not a rare occurance nor does it indicate (usually) they are lacking anything in their diet.
    Sometimes the egg passes through the hens system too quickly to allow the shell to form.
    Usually you do not find these in the nest, what you do find is a mess with yolk and white as they are easily broken.

3. I found one the other day in the nest, and wondered what it was,a perfect egg, except the shell was soft and spongy, after everyone saw it and felt it I threw it away. marrie [​IMG]

4. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

5. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

yep that is normal just give the hens some calcium supplement and they should lay fine for you.... Sometimes those first eggs are a little strange.

6. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    I found another one on the ground. I have 17 (?) hens so it sounds like a have a couple starting to lay. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by