Shell-less egg?

Chickenman MAN

Songster
Oct 25, 2020
United Kingdom South Devon
Hi got a shell-less egg this morning. First, possibly second that I've had. No idea why. 4 ex bats, had them for around 4 months, they are about 22 months old. They have free choice mixed grit and 16% layers pellets. Sometimes their egg shells are really weak too. Any ideas why? Should I put a small handful of grit in the feed to get more oystershell into their diet?

Hi got a shell-less egg this morning. First, possibly second that I've had. No idea why. 4 ex bats, had them for around 4 months, they are about 22 months old. They have free choice mixed grit and 16% layers pellets. Sometimes their egg shells are really weak too. Any ideas why? Should I put a small handful of grit in the feed to get more oystershell into their diet?
I have read to never mix their food and girt. Give them a separate option for the girt.

Eggs are made during the chickens sleep so if the sleep is interrupted the egg will not full develop. Another reason this could could happen is because there is not enough oyster shells in their diet. Mine have the option of layer feed and oyster shells and I have only had a shell less egg once and it never happened again. Separate the grit/oyster shells from the food

I have read to never mix their food and girt. Give them a separate option for the girt.

Eggs are made during the chickens sleep so if the sleep is interrupted the egg will not full develop. Another reason this could could happen is because there is not enough oyster shells in their diet. Mine have the option of layer feed and oyster shells and I have only had a shell less egg once and it never happened again. Separate the grit/oyster shells from the food
I have never put the grit/oystershell into their food. They have a separate feeder with grit and oystershell in it that they can eat as they please.

I crush up their eggshells and give it to them.

Back
Top Bottom