Shell less egg?

Catho

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
I found this today, no shell pieces, nothing. One of our Buff Orpington ladies seemed a bit quiet this morning and was the last to leave the hen house. Any ideas if that was just a shell less egg or did an egg break in her? She seems ok now. Please help!

Attachments

• A186FF72-CFDA-42A7-BD26-A5768B0458A7.jpeg
    A186FF72-CFDA-42A7-BD26-A5768B0458A7.jpeg
    744.6 KB · Views: 20
It could have been a shell-less egg taht was laid and broken, but it also could have broken inside. Usually there would be a membrane seen coming out of the vent, but the others will usually eat those and the egg yolk. If she seems lethargic or listless, you could give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin d in case of a problem.

It could have been a shell-less egg taht was laid and broken, but it also could have broken inside. Usually there would be a membrane seen coming out of the vent, but the others will usually eat those and the egg yolk. If she seems lethargic or listless, you could give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin d in case of a problem.
Thank you very much for your input, she seems ok right now but I will give her a crushed tablet if she acts listless.

Check the bums... Sometimes the membranes come out after and it gets stuck in the mailbox. She also may have pooped it already and it is somewhere in a pile.

Do not pull it out if you see it... It will exit when she poops, if you tug it out her skin may (or will) follow it out and you'll have a bigger problem than a membrane sticking out. If someone else finds it interesting and tries to peck her bum, just separate her until she poops. If you do tug, and her innards do follow it out, just keep watch for a few minutes and see if it all goes back in, if not, post here someone will give to info on that.

I'd give her a treat with some calcium citrate in it or on it (I get it in powder and dissolve it into a 'pudding' of water and layer crumbles or pellets. If she is not impressed with that recipe, apple sauce is too delicious to turn down) You can also crush tablets into something. There are some impressive people here able to pop a whole tablet into the hen's mouth, I am not that skilled, I can't even convince my husband to take cold medicine when he needs it. :rolleyes:

I have had some that did this and later had water-belly, some that then made lash-eggs, and some that just went back to laying. 🤷‍♀️

(Translates to: keep an eye on her, but don't make yourself sick with worry. It may be something, but it might not be horrible)

Check the bums... Sometimes the membranes come out after and it gets stuck in the mailbox. She also may have pooped it already and it is somewhere in a pile.

Do not pull it out if you see it... It will exit when she poops, if you tug it out her skin may (or will) follow it out and you'll have a bigger problem than a membrane sticking out. If someone else finds it interesting and tries to peck her bum, just separate her until she poops. If you do tug, and her innards do follow it out, just keep watch for a few minutes and see if it all goes back in, if not, post here someone will give to info on that.

I'd give her a treat with some calcium citrate in it or on it (I get it in powder and dissolve it into a 'pudding' of water and layer crumbles or pellets. If she is not impressed with that recipe, apple sauce is too delicious to turn down) You can also crush tablets into something. There are some impressive people here able to pop a whole tablet into the hen's mouth, I am not that skilled, I can't even convince my husband to take cold medicine when he needs it. :rolleyes:

I have had some that did this and later had water-belly, some that then made lash-eggs, and some that just went back to laying. 🤷‍♀️

(Translates to: keep an eye on her, but don't make yourself sick with worry. It may be something, but it might not be horrible)
Thank you so so much for all this! I could not see anything on her bum but I will certainly keep my eyes open. And I’ll by applesauce and Tums. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom