Shell Less Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sandy117, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Sandy117

Sandy117 New Egg

Jul 13, 2007
    One of my hens laid a shell-less egg. What does this mean? Is this anything serious? I never had this happen before. Thanks

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It does happen from time to time. Can be a simple glitch in the system, so to speak. Is she molting? That will tax her system. Does she have access to oyster shell?

(Sandy, since I answered this here, I deleted the duplicate post in emergencies)

3. Sandy117

Sandy117 New Egg

Jul 13, 2007
    I'm not exactly sure which hen laid the shell-less egg, but there are a few that are molting. Do you think this will be a one-time occurance? Thanks

4. speckledhen

It could be or you may see a couple more. I had several hens molting who produced brittle, softshelled or shell-less eggs for a brief period of time; that was also during a time of heat stress, as well. Just watch them to be sure you don't see one hunched up like a penguin and seeming to feel unwell. Give them plain active culture yogurt, too, to help with the calcium intake and their gut flora.

5. Sandy117

Sandy117 New Egg

Jul 13, 2007
    Thank you.[​IMG][​IMG]

6. speckledhen

You're very welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by