Shell-less eggs for 8 weeks and eating the evidence!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by erin417, May 11, 2009.

1. erin417

erin417 New Egg

Oct 13, 2008
    Finally! After months of not getting her beautiful blue eggs we finally have discovered the problem. Our 7 months old Americana "stopped" laying her eggs, last recorded was March 2! (First egg was Feb 7th) Did a lot of research, stopped the kitchen scraps, Organic Layena only! -- confirmed that she has minimum stress (she's one of 3 beloved chicken pets), older kids and 16 year old dog in the suburbs, Summer is on the way, apparently in good health, not molting, oyster shells, free-ranging in my backyard. So where are the eggs? Well on Sat I finally see yolk and white remains and 3 - toed footprints on the patio...no blue shell however. Sun. reveals the same clues -- so today I wait. She goes into the nest to lay, as she always does, at 11am ish. I wait patiently outside with abook but to no avail. I keep them in their run all day and finally let them out right before sundown --she squats, the other two run around her backside and she drops a half-formed rubber egg. Is there any hope for my young, much loved flock of 3? They're all egg-eaters and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Stew is not an option for us either. Thanks for any insight!

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Perhaps you should separate this hen for a while, at least so the other hens stop thinking of her as a candy dispenser. They're not eating each other's eggs too, are they? Or just this one's shell-less ones?

Then you can concentrate on giving her a lot of calcium supplements, oyster shell grit, egg shells, yogurt or cottage cheese, etc.

There are ways to design nest boxes so the eggs roll back to a place where the hens cannot reach them, maybe you could use something like that so your hens don't have eggs around to tempt them to eat them.
    I wish you success, and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by