Shell-less eggs-membrane only?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kerry, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Kerry

Kerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Pahoa, Big Isle, Hawaii
    Three of my four 8-month-old Barred Rocks are laying and appear to be very happy, friendly, and healthy. Great appetites for 2-way cracked corn, laying pellets, ground oyster shells, and, cherry tomatoes, Kale, and cucumber treats. My cat donates an occassional rat or mouse which they love. They have a new ptach of 8 X 10' lush grass each week when I move the chicken tractor.

Only one concern:

One of the hens sometimes lays eggs that have no shell just a rather thick membrane, somewhat like I would imagine a silicone breast implant pouch might feel like (not installed). It's tough enough that it can be carried, set down etc.

I can't be certain which hen is laying. I just find 1-2 eggs per day and one membrane about once a week. One time I found what looked like someone had cracked open an egg to fry it sunny side up. No shell particles or membrane.

Any ideas what might be going on? It's winter here (70's with a little rain most every day).

Thanks, Kerry

2. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    I have had the same problem, bear with me and I will go get the information I have managed to collect.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  3. Ms. Lewis Rich

Dec 18, 2007
    One of my Bantan Cochin hens started doing this last week I do have some of good eggs in bator now.
    Usually rubber eggs are caused by inbalance in the Phosphorous Vitamin D ratio.Can also be caused bu respiratory or Genetics.
    My show birds are kept inside with artifical light , spo we are going with the Vit, D. answer.
    Vit A D E Powder

replamine Liquid with Iron
    Vita Pro B Concentrate
    All can be added to water

WWW.featherfanciers.com
    Really nice place to order from Mr. Brown is very helpful I meet him at the Nationals he has an online catalog,

Hope this helps

4. Kerry

Apr 4, 2008
    Pahoa, Big Isle, Hawaii
    Thanks so very much Lewis, I'll see if our local stores carry

Vit A, D, & E Powder
    Replamine Liquid with Iron
    Vita Pro B Concentrate.

Will let you know in a week or so what happens.

Kerry

5. Ms. Lewis Rich

Dec 18, 2007
    Lack of enough sunlight can cause a Vit, D def. I have been giving her yogart and milk on bread till vit arrive seems to help.

6. Kerry

Apr 4, 2008
    Pahoa, Big Isle, Hawaii
    Thanks, good idea.

The 8' x 10' chicken tractor is only 50% shaded with corrugated roofing, hopefully they are getting enough sunshine.

I gave them ricotta cheese one time and they loved it.

Kerry

7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Soft shelled eggs are pretty common with pullets just starting to lay. It sometimes takes them a little while for their egg production to start functioning properly. It is nothing to be overly concerned about unless it continues. Make sure that they have oyster shell available with their feed. Calcium is a necessity for egg production.

8. Kerry

Apr 4, 2008
    Pahoa, Big Isle, Hawaii
    Thanks Opa,

I keep a small heap of ground oyster shells in the corn dispenser and another heap in the layer feed dispenser. I've been doing that since they were 4 months old.

I'm glad to know it's a common phenomenon.

Kerry

9. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Some of mine laid soft-shelled eggs when they first started laying. Once they got in their stride, they stopped laying the soft-shelled ones. I never did anything special about it, just waited.

10. Kerry

Apr 4, 2008
    Pahoa, Big Isle, Hawaii
    Thanks for the assurance Southernbelle, that mine don't need therapy. [​IMG]

Kerry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by