shell-less eggs; should I be concerned?

new chick chick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
This morning I woke up and found two shell-less egg yokes under the perch. My young hen who started laying and then stopped for 5 days must have "dropped" these during the night. Anyone else had this experience? I put out plenty of oyster shell and old egg shells; what causes this? Should I be concerned?

We had the same thing happen last night! I have a roost in the coop that have trays under to catch the poop. I went to clean them out and found one rubber egg and one with no shell. The shell was very soft and rubbery.
I have 4 chicks and 2 are laying every day. I guess the other two are getting ready!

Yeah!
lol.png

OYSTER SHELL..cant say enough itll help with the shell trust me! I had a flock that was in poor shape (I rescued them) and that was what was wrong with them...or I give them egg shell..break open some eggs or even boil them and crush up the egg shell VERY WELL so they dont think its ok to eat the egg and then feed it to them with veggies or there normal feed...it'll help with the shells. Good luck

Quote:
Strange how 2 birds are laying normal shelled eggs and one of the other two started with the leather eggs. They almost feel like turtle eggs. Our 4th has not started yet.

I do feed them egg shells all the time and use a feed that contains some calcium. Think it could be they are just starting out? In a few days is should be normal?
When the other two started, they were normal, small, but normal.

Its a mystery- - - - -

Quote:
Strange how 2 birds are laying normal shelled eggs and one of the other two started with the leather eggs. They almost feel like turtle eggs. Our 4th has not started yet.

I do feed them egg shells all the time and use a feed that contains some calcium. Think it could be they are just starting out? In a few days is should be normal?
When the other two started, they were normal, small, but normal.

Its a mystery- - - - -

Yeah it could settle out in a couple of days. It could be a week. What Ive learned from working in an actual chicken barn (ive learned a lot over 2 years) is weather and other stresses dont help. Whatever stressed the chickens out to lay an egg like yours happened 2 days previous to the eggs that you found leathery. I dont know why but it takes two full days to affect the bird. Its wierd but after a huge storm in the barn I work at two days later egg production drops by 5-25%! Its true Im not lying lol

Must be the day for it- my 10 month old BLRW hen, who's just started laying after taking two weeks off for reasons best known to herself, had one regular egg and one soft shell this morning (I last checked last night around eight, and no eggs then).

She gets layer feed, and oyster shell.

I guess the rain we had stressed out my Big Girl. Cause it rained three days ago and for the last 2 days, rubber eggs. Ever pick one up while it's still warm, not knowing it is a rubber egg? Well I did. It was getting dark so I couldn't see really well in there and I snagged it up and EWWWww what a surprise lol I dropped it. When I realized what it was I had to laugh at myself.

It's totally normal when chickens start laying to have these types of eggs. They will lay all sorts of eggs like these when they first start laying. Now the rubber eggs though I have not had from any new laying hens, I did have a rubber egg from an adult hen due to worms. The new laying hens will lay an egg usually in the morning and then will pass what people call wind eggs or fart eggs at night while sleeping or even when they are walking around. For some unknown reason the hens know the wind eggs are not true eggs because there are no shells on them and the eggs will be on the ground or under their roosts.

I don't worry if they just started laying. Sometimes all the different parts of their reproductive system aren't all working together quite right in the beginning. It usually straightens out eventually.

Of all the chickens I've had, only one had a problem as an adult. We eventually lost her when she was 4 years old. The couple of others I've had, straightened out soon after they started laying and never had another problem.

Back
Top Bottom