Shell less eggs?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Godiva, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I have never seen one of these though I have heard about them. A few days ago one of my hens laid a very thin shelled egg which broke and got half eaten before I found it. THen yesterday I found two eggs with just membrane and no shell at all. One was broken and the other was intact and they had both been laid in a different area of the coop, not the nesting boxes (so one may have been from the day before and I missed it). Is this a stress problem - someone being picked on? Or is it nutritional? Or just a hormonal wobble? They are on layena and get oystershell and DE... Not sure if I should post this elsewhere but thought this would be the best place to start anyway... THanks

2. tamemeg

tamemeg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    WOW, I just came up from feeding my ladies and was anxious to ask this very same question! I have one RIR that has been laying faithfully for going on 4 weeks now. I got six new and slightly younger RIR a few weeks ago, they said they should start laying about Dec. Well, Matilda, the layer always lays hers in the nesting box, I got one yesterday. This morning, there were 2 shell less eggs on TOP of the nesting boxes, right below the roost, it lookd like a double yolker...but NO shell. I'm thinking it is one of the newbies, and maybe this is somewhat "normal"....I hope. They get layer crumble, scratch, black oil sunflower seeds, scratch, and scraps and treats. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Pam

3. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Hey guys, just wondering if anyone else has had this and if it resolves on its own? Please help, the last few days have been crazy in this coop with a bunch of chicks getting some kind of poisoning, chicks hatching, hen eating chicks head off! another one throwing the eggs out of the nest.... all the peace and quiet of the summer and now we're suddenly making up for the lack of drama! Is there someone out there with a word of advice for us?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by