Shell less eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nhchickmom, Nov 24, 2008.

1. nhchickmom

nhchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    Hello. My 1 year old chicken has been laying shell less eggs for the past week. She had been laying good, large and thick shelled eggs up until this point. They have the opportunity to walk around the property daily and are feed layer pellets, greens, pasta, bread, and oyster shells daily. What do you think could be causing this?

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I would say to with-hold all treats for the time being. Just give her the feed and oystr shell and see if it gts better. They ar called rubber eggs--there actually is a shell, but it breaks almost immediately and looks rubbery.

3. PrisonARNP

PrisonARNP Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2008
    Leavenworth, Kansas
    most likely caused by a virus. The condition is called Egg Drop and the eggs can be layed without the hard outer shell. This is a self limiting condition I believe, but can be passed around the hen house. If I knew how to add pictures I could send you some of the condition, I had it in my hen house a couple months ago. Otherwise google egg drop and see what comes up. dc

4. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

5. nhchickmom

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond. I researched egg drop syndrome and think this is probably what it is. I have ruled out diet, salt levels in water and laying environment as it is all high quality and very safe. I am wondering about the change in temp. though......We live in northern NH and it has been about 30 degrees lately and recently during the past two weeks dropped to the high teens and low twenties during the day. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Could temp effect the eggs? It doesn't look like their is a specific treatment for this, but to let is run its course. Does this sound right? Also it seems odd to me that my other chickens are still fine, should I be worried about them too?

THANK YOU ALL!!! [​IMG]

6. PrisonARNP

PrisonARNP Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2008
    Leavenworth, Kansas
    Sure, be worried, I always am when my kids or chickens get viral infections. But, time usually heals and I am going to take that approach with this condition. I just make sure I have clean quarter, food and water, especially if they are under the weather. That goes for the chickens also. dave

7. christmaschicken

christmaschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Christmas, Florida
    [​IMG]

Is this what it looks like mine did this for about 1 wk and than she was fine... but it is really freaky....

8. nhchickmom

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    [​IMG] Thank you again...... I am just going to give it some time and stick to the basics with food. Thanks for all your help and the photos, that is exactly what they look like. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by