1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shell-less eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mwewe, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Mwewe

Mwewe Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    I have found about 6 eggs without shells in the past week or so. I cook the ones I find up for the hens, but I've found 2 others broken on the bottom of the coop, 2 skins of the eggs in their run (probably eaten) and 2-3 that I've found intact.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's my one EE who is new to laying eggs. I've found 2 eggs with shells by her, and they're a lovely aqua-green. I figured it might have been my brown leghorn who just started laying after a month hiatus, or my BO who hasn't been laying as often. However, the leghorn laid an egg this morning, the BO is in the nesting box right now laying, and there was another shell-less egg on the bottom of the coop next to the box.

My hens are 6.5 months old, and I have 4. The (mostly) Ameraucana hasn't started laying yet, and doesn't even squat yet when you go to pick her up like the others. When the BO and Brown Leghorn started laying, I maybe got 2 shell-less eggs from each of them tops. I am concerned that maybe the EE is not getting enough nutrients or something along those lines. They eat organic layer feed, dried meal worms (about a handful a day scattered on the ground, scrambled or hardboiled eggs, and any eggshells we have. They also get fruits and veggies here and there (I try to give them something fun every day), and have access to grass when I let them out of their 400+ sq ft run (daily).

Am I doing something wrong? Are they getting enough nutrients? Or is it normal for new layers to lay eggs without shells frequently?

The EE 1 regular egg Thursday, shell-less egg Friday, regular egg yesterday, and shell-less today.

2. Mwewe

Mwewe Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    [​IMG]

This is what the BO just laid though.

[​IMG]

And my egg basket today vs yesterday.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    If you haven't read this I would advise reading it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems. The only things I can think of that would cause this would be the lack of certain nutrients, stress, or a new laying hen. Though I've never had problem with new layers I don't think it is uncommon to have weird eggs for a couple of days (maybe weeks).

4. Mwewe

Mwewe Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016

Link didn't work. I have read that new layers lay without shells sometimes, but for her to be 2/9 normal eggs is a little scary. My chickens aren't stressed much. The most stress I've seen them have is pacing along the fence wanting out of their run. And the occasional freak-out when the pitbull tries to sniff them and check them out (from a walk, mind you. The two dogs never run at them).

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Sorry, maybe this will work: Common Egg Quality Problems

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmmmm.....
    It can take up to a month or so for a new layer to smooth things out....some pullets lay more softies than others.

How big is your coop in feet by feet? Pics might help

Did you raise all 4 pullets from chicks?
    How long have they been on the layer feed?
    What is the brand and protein percentage of the layer feed?

I always like to advise to cut back to just a well balanced chicken ration and plain clean water...no other treats or foods....for a few weeks and see what happens.
    Process of elimination. It can be a delicate balance to get them to eat enough ration with it's essential vitamins and minerals to process all nutrients given.

Always good to provide a separate dish of oyster shell as some may need more....
    .....feeding egg shells back to them is often not enough, they need a more slowly released calcium source.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by