Shell less eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chucky Egg, May 22, 2010.

1. Chucky Egg

Chucky Egg New Egg

Oct 1, 2009
    our chucks are laying eggs with no shell, any ideas why?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

New egg making equipment?? Not on layer feed? No oyster shell or crushed egg shells available free choice? We'd need a little more info. to help you with our guesses...lol. Age (of chickens)? Were eggs normal for a while?

4. eggcatcher

eggcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    [​IMG] I'm puzzled. I have 3 leghorn hens only. I've been getting 3 eggs with good hard shells a day since the sun started shining this Spring. Today I found an egg with a soft shell, it was more like a membrane. It is intact, I was able to wash the egg but it is very soft and squishy. It was deposited where they poop off their roosting bar at night. The only thing I can think is that when the hen pooped in her sleep an egg that wasn't quite ready slipped out. Does that make sense? Is it alright to eat that egg? The chickens have plenty of oyster shell and I've never had an egg like this one before and it wasn't layed in the nest it was on the poop board. Opinions and/or information greatly desired. Thank you for your experience.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Sometimes there are just glitches. Any "problem eggs" I've had have always been on the roost, never in the nest. Therefore, I would say that it was unexpected to the chicken...lol...glitch in the system. I guess I think of the shell as being protective against bacteria and such, so I've never eaten one without the regular shell, although the insides looks the same, as you said. Some do cook them and feed them back to the chickens though, since the protein is good.

6. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    We've eaten them. As long as the membrane is intact they are fine. Instead of cracking a shell, you just puncture & "squeeze" them into the frying pan. We dont' store them, though. We either eat them right away, or feed them back to the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by