Shell-less eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lilyrose, Nov 28, 2012.

1. lilyrose

lilyrose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2012
    I have six chickens, four are pretty steady layers and good quality eggs. I expected the last two to begin laying in the next few weeks and this morning I discovered two eggs in the nest box that were shell-less. I am pretty sure it is my last two hens starting to lay, cause I haven't had this problem with the other four. They are spoiled chickens for the most part, I feed them organic egg laying food, give them plenty of oyster shells and grit, plenty of scratch and treat them with kale, squash, etc, and I even treat them with yogurt now and again.

The temperatures here in Oregon are beginning to drop (30's) and the only thing I have done differently is to shut them in at night, closing off their door so less draft. Could that have something to do with the shell-less eggs. I heard that stress can cause that as well.
    [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Shell-less eggs are normal in new layers starting to lay. Their bodies have to adjust to laying, and get the kinks worked out. Give them some time and it will work itself out.

3. lilyrose

Oct 9, 2012
    Is it typical of some breeds and not others? I thank you for your reply.

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's an individual maturity issue - just as every human matures at a different rate, so do chickens. I have had pullets never lay a soft shelled egg, and I've had others lay several soft shelled eggs before kicking in with a normal shell.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  5. lilyrose

Oct 9, 2012
    So I should just hold tight for a few weeks and see if it changes? I am glad it is nothing I have been doing then. Thanks!

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep!

7. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    I have a black sex link who started laying normally a couple of months ago, and gives me lovely hard-shelled eggs regularly. I have just given the girls an 8 day course of antibiotics (amoxicillin prescribed by the vet for sneezing/wheezing symptoms) adding it to hot oatmeal every day, as it was guaranteed to get eaten. For the last 3 days I have had a completely shell-less egg every day - not laid in the nest box, but either whilst on the perch or inside the coop by the door. I'm pretty certain that Blackie is the culprit, but could it be due to the illness, the antibiotics, the porridge, or something entirely different?

8. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    Update on my shell-less eggs. I'm fairly certain it was the black sex link who was responsible, but only two days after stopping the antibiotics (and porridge), and starting to add apple cider vinegar to their water, all egg production returned to normal. [​IMG] I'm back to 2 or 3 eggs per day from 3 girls (even got 4 the day before yesterday [​IMG] - 3 in the early morning and 1 in the late afternoon!). I still don't know if it was the antibiotics or the oats that were responsible, but I'm not going to give them porridge now, just in case.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by