Shell-less eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HugHess, Mar 25, 2015.

1. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    I have a three pullets, penned together and they began giving eggs about three weeks ago. I have only 'busted' one laying but believe all three are.
    Here's my question... I have gotten two shell-less eggs in as many weeks. How 'many' turns to too many for a pullet?
    She/they were hatched in early October.
    They are on layer feed, oyster-shell, fermented scratch and table food, oh and I grind all my egg shells and periodically sprinkle it in feed or on table scraps. My additional lighting is ua/uvb bulb (not that they get a lot of it as they are usually more than 18" from it, but still!
    TIA

2. wyandottegirl

wyandottegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, BC
    They will be laying shell-less eggs because they have just started to lay. A hen will usually lay an egg which is shell-less one to two times. I wouldn't worry unless you keep seeing this.

3. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS

Thank you Wyandottegirl.

I appreciate your reply. What originally concerned me was that everybody else's 1st eggs from then to now, 3 wks. today, as a matter-of-fact, have literally been 'perfect' esthetically, I even have 7 of 9 set in the bator still going strong, some due in the next few days...
    I am too attached to them to be anything but a paranoid worry-wort! Thank goodness I know that I am not alone in this!
    Time will tell this story then, arghh...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by