Shell & membrane free egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicks4fun2, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Chicks4fun2

Chicks4fun2 Chirping

Mar 5, 2014
    Pacific NW
    One of my barred rock started laying at 21 weeks she laid one egg skipped a day then appeared to lay an egg with no covering/shell or membrane at all! How normal is this? And now I'm worried she may and maybe the others have had a taste... Should I be worried she will be destroying / eating other eggs? Or is it safe to say she won't be able to make the connection between the insides of the egg and a properly formed egg?not sure...any advice?

The "egg"was laid right next to one of my rir eggs with no evidence of being bothered... Not sure who was in there first... :/

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Occasional soft or shell-less eggs are usually just a glitch in the egg laying system and they are especially common in new layers like your girls, or in birds just coming back into lay as as they get their egg laying systems into gear. They don't really seem to lead to real egg eating ime, they just make a mess if they are broken in the nest. They usually aren't anything to worry about, but if you have one hen laying nothing but them she may have a defective shell gland, or you get a lot of them from a lot of different hens, you may want to look at other causes. There is a list of causes on The Poultry Site ... http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs

3. Chicks4fun2

Chicks4fun2 Chirping

Mar 5, 2014
    Pacific NW
    Ahhhhh! I caught her eating her freshly laid, fully formed but thin shelled egg this morning! She was really upset when I wouldn't let her finish it! I really am worried this is gonna be a problem...I hope once her shells thicken up she leaves them alone. But of course she is the most curious of the entire flock... Any advice ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: