Shell membranes drying out??? Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Callducknut14, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Callducknut14

Callducknut14 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    Seymour,Missouri
    My Call duck eggs have started hatching:) and I am having a big problem with the shell membranes drying out while the ducklings are hatching. I did have the eggs in my incubator but it broke so I put the eggs under my setting Call hen. I have to peel one duckling out of it's egg this morning because the membrane had dried and was sticking to the duckling like glue. [​IMG]I was able to get it off though. I have another duckling hatching right now but it is having a hard time getting out because the membrane is drying. I have been misting it with lukewarm water but is there anything else I can do? Any advice would be wonderful!

2. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Can you set a warm moist washcloth under them in the nest? It might help momma keep up the moisture

3. Cuqui18

Cuqui18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Concord, Ma
    before i read the ending to your question i was going to suggest spraying lightly w warm water but i guess youve already been doing that... making sure you dont drown the chik i think that just about it. what is the humidity in the bator?

4. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    the bator died so they placed the eggs under a hen

5. Callducknut14

Callducknut14 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    Seymour,Missouri
    Thanks for your replys! I peeling a little bit of the dried membrane away and put a teeny tiny bit of warm water into the shell.....I think he''ll be hatched by this evening.[​IMG] I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by