Shell not hard?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by srpaint, Sep 12, 2011.

1. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    I have a pullet that started laying about a week and a half ago. Got an egg every day. Nice size. Even got a double yoker from her. Hard shell. Great egg. Now she is laying without the shell. I have oyster shells out for them. I keep it right next to the food and water. Is there anything else I can do?

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Just wait for her little chicken egg factory to work out the kinks pretty much, it happens to all of us.

3. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    Thank you! I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something as this is my first time raising chickens.

4. ChlorophyllChick

ChlorophyllChick Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    One of ours laid great eggs for about a week, then we got shell-less eggs for a few days and we were a bit worried. She has been laying nice, hard-shelled eggs for the past 2.5 weeks after that though. It is common when they are young and she should grow out of it.

5. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I have 8 pullets that have only been laying for a couple of months. Yesterday when I went out to give evening treats one of them got so excited she laid the morning egg a little early. It was soft shelled. Ive had this happen a couple of times when giving treats so its nothing that I did wrong. They grow out of it. Enjoy your chickens.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  6. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    started getting crazy pullet eggs to this week i was like whats going on but its reasuring to know its just they need to get their bodies in check

7. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    on the back of the oyster shell bag are the instructions.

My bag says to put it in their feed. say 2-4 spoonfulls per pound. I never have soft shell or no shells for some time ( like years). I can understand this meathod,It gives them no choice,and you wont have poo in your oyster shell container in the coop.

8. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Are the soft shells edible?

9. sandysylvester

sandysylvester Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Same happened with my girl. She is now back to laying normal hard eggs.

10. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    wow.Guess my advice goes unheeded...........again:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by