Shell pipped at midnight, 9 hours later and no progress.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PalmRoyal, Aug 14, 2014.

1. PalmRoyal

PalmRoyal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Lima, OH
    My turkey egg pipped last night at around midnight and it is 9AM now. So far there is no progress on hatching. It has just made the initial hole where it pipped bigger. What else should I be expecting? It was the only fertile egg so is the only one hatching. What should I be expecting? I heard it can take up to 48 hours to hatch, but what should I expect?

2. PalmRoyal

Apr 28, 2013
    Lima, OH
    So far, it has been 15 hours and no progress. I am very new to the actual breeding aspects and I have decided to go with natural incubation. All of the other eggs I've had, I've just had friends hatch out for me in an incubator so this is my first official natural incubation and I'm not sure what to expect.

3. avocado

avocado Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    UK
    I only have experience of incubating chickens so forgive me if I am wrong ut I would give them a little time yet.

4. edahcsmac

edahcsmac Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    Pa
    grrr... I am at the same spot with my serama chicken egg! He pipped a while ago and I have been staring at him for the last 12 hours, just waiting![​IMG]

5. Caheen

Caheen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Michigan
    One of my babies pipped at about 1:00 yesterday, and just hatched a couple hours ago. I thought it was going to be early to the party, but it was the last to show up!

6. edahcsmac

May 31, 2014
    Pa
    Just as my little guy finally hatched, one of the other eggs gave it's first pip. He has be staring at the pipped egg for the past 20 minutes chirping at it. I think he is giving encouragement![​IMG][​IMG]

7. PalmRoyal

Apr 28, 2013
    Lima, OH
    Unfortunately mine died in the egg. Not sure why. He had his little beak outside of the hole, but was dead after about 20 hours of no improvement. Oh well, it was for the best I suppose. I gave the mom some new eggs and that freed up a duck to take to the fair. Not having any siblings, I think that it would have not had as good of a lif anyways and I think there is more turkeys to be hatched soon anyways.

8. edahcsmac

May 31, 2014
    Pa
    I had to help the last chick out if his egg but I am worried because he isn't standing up as fast as the other two...

9. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

No proress after 24 hours after external pip is not uncommon, in fact it's quite common... Wait at least 24 hours before you get worried, I don't worry until 36 hours have elapsed with no progress...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by