Shelless egg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RinzHens, Apr 20, 2018.

1. RinzHens

RinzHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2017
    rowlett tx
    7095A547-3BB9-4D2D-9E61-5EB38CF0CC9A.jpeg Went out to the pen and this was floating in the pond. I know its a shelless egg but do i need to be concerned? One duck is unknown age afult and two started laying last fall. The size matches the oldest pekin but tge other two have been gaining size and uts water logged. (Iphone wont let me correct spellings here??) are they lacking something or ill? Yesterday i built a ten by five pen next yo them so maybe stess? They only appeared very curious. The mowing was a littke bothersome to them.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

My Runner laid one that looked just like that the other day except it didn't have the tail.

For now I am just keeping an eye on her and the eggs laid if it's something that keeps happening I'll start giving them calcium citrate in the drinking water for 3-4 days and see if that clears it up. Do you feed layer and also have out oyster shell?

3. gocgo

gocgo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2017
    Brandon, SD
    Calcium...give some oyster shells or crushed up shell or some kind of calcium supplement.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. CayugaJana

CayugaJana True BYC Addict

Sep 2, 2017
    Very interesting. I’ve never seen the tail portion before. Following.....:pop

5. RinzHens

Jul 6, 2017
    rowlett tx
    Just changed food last night to a calcium added layer. Before was a 20% layer. Oyster shell available but the ducks were never big on it. Lots of leafy greens daily plus scratch and sometimes mealworms. Doing a lot in the yard now and about to add a long run off their pen so if stress related may have more. Was about to worm them too. But the whole debate on what to use had me waiting. They were wormed about five months ago but still not the weight I would like for the amount they eat. Are almost a year old now.

chickens really likes this.
  6. CayugaJana

CayugaJana True BYC Addict

Sep 2, 2017
    Mine aren’t crazy about it either. I almost have to pen them up with it. Then they get bored and try some. Weird.......

7. RinzHens

Jul 6, 2017
    rowlett tx
    That's what I mean Miss Lydia. Off label everything....use this, oh wait don't. So ive got this wazine at the house still sitting. Water dosing just isn't the best. Used panacur before and that was also unsure dosing and didn't seem to cover much. Local bird expert doses all her ducks and chickens every six weeks with 3 drops of ivermectin orally and doesn't hold eggs, but that's totally off label. But shes like the guru of all things bird. I lean toward something I can orally dose so I know they are actually getting it. I want something broad spectrum enough, and I want to not waste time tossing eggs if I don't have to. With mammals we just go happy with strongid no matter the signs because its safe and been around for ever...but this is birds and not an area I'm knowledgeable on. I just want fat and happy and since we have ducks I think it increases the exposure to feces because the ducks are so messy so I want a good worming protocol like I had with my horses. Like on the calendar use this and in three months give this. Seven hens and three ducks and we just got in a rescue chicken today that ill have to identify if no one claims it.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Safe guard and Valbazen are my go to wormers.

@casportpony can help you figure out doses she is the best at this.

9. You mention leafy greens...By chance is it spinach?..That actually blocks Birds from absorbing Calcium so that could be the reason for the egg issues..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by