shelless egg???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hinchbug, Aug 7, 2009.

1. hinchbug

hinchbug In the Brooder

Apr 28, 2008
    Kalispell, Mt
    Has anyone ever had an egg that looks normal but when you touch it you realize the shell is totally soft? I am pretty sure it came fromone of my Buffs. I give them oyester shell, yogure treats and occasionally let them free range.

2. ninny

ninny Songster

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    um weird

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't know how old your birds are but in the beginning when the pullets start to lay you may get soft shells, shell-less and even double yokers while their bodies are adjusting to laying. I still get an older hen every once in a very great while that will lay thin shelled eggs and mine have access to oyster shells.

4. mmwb

mmwb Songster

Jul 2, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    We've had a few, but it was not common.

5. ssteiner

ssteiner Songster

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    Yes every once in a while, especially when the girls were just getting started laying, we'd see a soft shell or shell-less egg. It's likely just something she'll grow out of, but do verify sufficient calcium in her diet, mainly by way of providing crushed oyster shells.

6. dianneS

dianneS Songster

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Oh yeah, I've had one of those. I've gotten a few soft shelled eggs and I even got one that was totally transparent! It was like rubber, but clear and you could see the yolk inside! It freaked me out! I give mine plenty of oyster shell too, not sure why that happens, it just does. If the hen is young, she may produce some of thos soft ones when she first starts laying.

7. Aj1911

Aj1911 Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    i have 2 GLW's that lay shell-less eggs and they are going on a year old

i find yogurt and some raw milk help them form tougher membranes

i have seen 1 lay a shelled egg so i know she can do it.

i might end up culling them or separating them so i dont end up with a bunch of egg eaters [​IMG]

8. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I've not had this. It scares me. What are you feeding it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: