shelless eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by insanity, Oct 28, 2013.

1. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    I have a mix of old rescue hens and young pullets (mostly not laying) 24 girls and I average 3 good shelled eggs a day. The problem is about every 5 days someone is laying 1 that looks like a snake egg. the first had a thin membrane around it, the second was leathery, and the last one kinda crinkled like dry leaves. I don't know who is doing it but I'm guessing 1 of the old girls (they were in bad shape when I got them a month or so ago). My question is will it stop with good feed? I feed a 50/50 mix of 16% layer crumble/ feather fine with daily fresh vegis, scratch grains, and I've been mixing in crushed egg shells for calcium. They also can get to the ducks 18% meat bird pellet but most don't seem to like it.The old ladies "look" great now but this makes me worry they won't recover from their previous life. Any advise on the thin shelled eggs?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs
    http://www.avianweb.com/eggproblems.html
    With young layers a range of odd eggs like shell less ones and inconstant laying is pretty common, it is usually just because of their age. They are working on getting their egg laying system into gear. Older birds will also do it occasionally, especially when they are coming back into lay after molting or something. There are a list of other causes, but with only one a week or so, I would think it is just one of them getting into gear, not dietary or disease related hopefully. The occasional odd egg usually does not have anything to do with calcium being deficient in their diet as a flock if most eggs are normal. But it could be one hen (young or old) might have a shell gland defect or problem and it is related to her ability to use the calcium correctly in making a shell. Do you also offer them oyster shell on the side?

3. insanity

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    No I don't offer oyster. I was hoping the feed and egg shells would suffice.

4. insanity

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    Thanks for the sites, Several of the old ladies are in molt and the weather is fluctuating wildly here 60 one day snow at night. that could be part of the problem. Also the flock has had new additions during this time span so everyone is cranky, they don't like the new ducks.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Doesn't take much to make the old girls cranky does it :) Mine haven't been really happy with the cold weather either. I usually offer shell on the side also, I know in some of my old production birds, complete feeds (Layer) don't seem to have enough calcium to keep their egg shells in good shape, either that or they are not utilizing the available calcium as well as younger birds, either way, the extra on the side or mixed in with treats does seem to help ime.

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Mine are on layer feed and then I crush their eggshells and sprinkle some on top of their feed.. I don't do it everyday either and they are all laying basically perfect eggs. I've gotten one shell-less egg before but it was from a brand new layer. From the research I've done I believe layer feed should be "good enough". The only reason l give them egg shell is because well why not? lol its free so might as well not waste it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by