shellless egg ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by giasmom, Apr 25, 2009.

1. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Why would a hen lay an egg with no shell ?

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Not enough calcium, or more likely, just a fluke.
    I have a hen who lays two eggs for a day and then skips a day. The second egg of the day is always shelless.

3. sebright guy

sebright guy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    give her grit or oystershell. shelless eggs can cause them to be eggbound.

4. giasmom

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    She is on layer feed & oyster shell,she also has access to scratch, and gets fed our selected scraps....

5. sebright guy

sebright guy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    then im not sure. mabye its ok. just a weird thing. lol

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

We have two hens that lay shell-less eggs. I'm getting nervous that one of these days our hens are going to get smart and figure out that if they brake the shells of the other ones, they'll find more prizes inside. [​IMG] I'm going to pick up some grit and try it out, soon, but mine all have access to layer rations, oyster shell, and partial free-range.

7. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Could be a vitamin issue. Try giving the hens a little cod liver oil. I dip small pieces of bread in the oil to get them to eat it. It will help them absorb the calcium and get them into sync.....

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Is she a pullet? I had some pullets that layed some soft shelled eggs shortly after they started laying.

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I have a Salmon Favorelle that's about 14 months old that has recently started doing the same thing - without normal eggs in between. Sometimes I get a very thin and soft, broken shell with the egg material. I feed a pelleted feed, grit, oyster shell, and a little cracked corn, plus scraps from the house every few days (mostly veggies). Everything else is normal, she still sits on her empty nest, and the shelless eggs are never in her nest, always out on the floor...
    I too would welcome any ideas!![​IMG]

10. giasmom

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Quote:She is about 11 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by