Shelter For Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by c0dywhite, Feb 6, 2013.

1. c0dywhite

c0dywhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    I'm going to build a quail pen in the patch of woods by my house to give the quail the natural enviroment & I was wondering what would be the best shelter to put in the own for them?

2. c0dywhite

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    **pen not own** Lol

3. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    You'd need to provide a roof for the pen, or something to cover it anyway, just in case it rains or storms or any other bad weather for quail. I just put this cover on-top of my quail's cage during the middle of the day and at night or if it rains, and most of the time they can take in the sunlight if it isn't too hot when the roof's off.

You can add branches and plants that aren't toxic (I have no idea what's okay for them and whats not, plant wise.) as they love to hide, and they'll most likely huddle together underneath a plant or some type of indoor shelter (even if there is a roof) during the colder nights.
    Putting plants to make it look more natural will give you a really small, but better chance of getting them to become broody (just a little bit), though they've generally lost their instinct for that from being bred so often.

They don't perch, their toes can't curl around to get a good grip on something, so slim, high branches won't be needed...

If that's what you mean by shelter.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Cody, as a word of caution, you may want to do as much as you can to prevent opossum, raccoons, snakes and dogs from getting into your pen. Some of those varmint may see this as a Bobwhite buffet. Once they know they are there, they will frequently return for a snack.

5. Campine

Campine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2012
    I've got some hollow logs in mine and also a pallet, they like them both.

6. sheds

sheds Out Of The Brooder

Ive got perch's in all my cage's that they use alot, 1 inch bamboo stake's. they even sit on the pine branch's. All 7 of my Tennesee reds usually perch all together at night, its cool to see.

7. c0dywhite

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    Thank you all for the info! It is very helpful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by