Shelter/hutch for my cali/gambel quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by al4x, Sep 22, 2012.

1. al4x

al4x Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2012
    hi

now the quail run is nearly built i am looking for hutches for them to sleep in.
    i was thinking a guinea pig style hutch with a perch.

temperatures get below freezing here in winter.

what do you guys reccomend?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Rabbit style hutches make great shelter for quail. Offer them about 3 or 4 square feet per bird. They can tolerate extremely cold temps, as long as they can get completely out of the wind, rain/snow with 3 sides enclosed along with the roof and the floor is solid. If your hutch has a wire bottom, you might want to lay down grass hay during really cold temps so they can stay warm. Quail get cold thru their feet, so snuggling down together in hay will keep them warm.

Quail are not like chickens that go into enclosures to roost at night and they do not perch at night either. So when you finally do get the quail into this set up, lock them in the hutch for a day or so before letting them into the run. That way they will see the hutch as a comforting place to be as they may be too afraid to use the hutch if they are not used to it.

3. al4x

al4x Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2012
    Thanks for your reply

Just one thing. My quail always perch at night Where they are atm

Here is a blurry pic I took in the dark tonight. Sorry for the blurriness

[​IMG]

4. Ntsees

Ntsees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2012
    For me, I use Christmas trees (~6 ft or taller) for their roost. The tree usually needs modification first. I make trimmings inside of the tree so that it is not as thick so they can jump easily from branch to branch whereas the outside and the top are thick to break rain drops/reduce wind speed.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  5. Bearded Farmer

Bearded Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    I second the rabbit hutch! Thst will be the best bet for warmth and functionality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by