shelter in the run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by trooper, Jan 25, 2012.

1. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG][​IMG] My run that I have for my chickens at the present time stays wet.I've got about a 30'x80' run and the way it is established it gets pretty wet with all this rain.I am in the process in making an approx 3'x8' movable shelter so that They can have a dry area to go to when it rains.I'm putting a small plastic barrel cut in half in it that hangs from the rafters and has sand in it so that they can clean themselves.I'm putting roosts under it so that they have something to play on during the day.I have thought about putting wire over the 4x4's that I have on the ground and planting some type of grass in it according to the season so that they can get fresh grass and can't dig it up.As soon as I get it ready and set I will put it on my post.[​IMG]

2. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    These sound like good ideas, the rain makes it hard to keep anything dry. We have a covered run 6 x 15 and it gets wet with blowing rain.[​IMG]

3. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    I figure that will happen some,but my run stays muddy.I figured that if I can dry up some as I go then I hopefully can get an area that might get somewhat wet but not super muddy.I'll add on as I can.

4. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    How about covering the run? Mine would be mud to but we have tarps over the top and sides so sun comes in I but the wet stays out . My chickens love the fact there ground is dry. You can get some giant tarps for a pretty fair price. I got my tarps on line and there heavy duty . Maybe just a tarp over the top of your pen will help with the mud. Or cover even half your run. Saves you the hassles in the long run with out trying to make something else .

5. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

I tried tarps on top and it was better but still wet. I put in a lot of straw to cut down the mud factor. It's OK, but in no way ideal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by