Sheltered waterer

michickenwrangler

To Finish Is To Win
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
NE Michigan
I bought a heated waterer base for my galvinized waterer. It says for indoor use but my coop is fairly small and when I had water in there, they just ended up messing it more than drinking out of it. So now I have the base and waterer outdoors and I rigged up a 6 x 8 tarp held in place with stretch ties that provides shelter from the north and west and some overhead protection too. The hens already enjoying "hanging out by the water cooler"

Do you think it will be adequate?

Maybe it's just me, but I would worry about running electrical units (that say indoors only) outside. Probably it isn't sealed for weather & dampness. Could cause an electrical short, which could start a fire.

I don't have electric in my coop so I would have to run the cord outside anyway. I rigged up the cord so that it runs up along the fence and plugs into the extension cord under the tarp but high above our usual snow line.

Your (outdoor) extension cord is sealed, and rated for outdoor use. Hopefully you're using an outdoor cord?

But, what may cause an electrical short is the actual water heater. It isn't rated for outdoor use, which means it isn't sealed for weather and damp conditions. It may cause an electrical short when used outside.

ETA, for typo.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom